Thank you for visiting the Chemical & Biological Systems Optimization Lab at Penn State.
The group is led by Dr. Costas D. Maranas, Donald B. Broughton Professor of the Department of Chemical Engineering. Research interests include metabolic network reconstruction, analysis and redesign; synthetic biology and microbial strain design for bio-production; computational protein, enzyme and antibody design; and bioinformatics.
• October 2012 - Chiam Yu Ng, Mohammad Islam and Margaret Simons, first year graduate students in Chemical Engineering joined Maranas’ group. Welcome!
• May 2012 - Ali Zomorrodi successfully defended his PhD, Congratulations!
• April 2012 - Anupam Chowdhury receives the Leighton Riess Graduate Fellowship, Way to go Anupam!
• February 2012 - Ali Khodayari a first year graduate student in Chemical Engineering joined Maranas' group, Welcome!
• December 2011 - Ali Zomorrodi successfully received his MS in Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering, Congratulations!
• December 2011 - Sridhar Ranganathan successfully defended his PhD, Congratulations!
• October 2011 - Alex Verseput and Anupam Chowdhury graduate students in Chemical Engineering joined Maranas' group, Welcome!
• September 2011 - Ali Zomorrodi and Robert Pantazes win Larry Duda Awards for Outstanding Graduate Student Performance in Chemical Engineering: Best Paper Award and Best Presentation Award, respectively. Way to go Ali and Robert!
• September 2011 - Updated genome-scale atom mapping model for E. coli available under Models.
• August 2011 - Matt Grisewood joined the Maranas group as a graduate student. He had worked in the group as an undergraduate.
• August 2011 - SL Finder code available under Software
• August 2011 - Updated versions of maize and Arabidopsis models available under Models
• July 2011 - Updated versions of OptKnock, GapFind/GapFill, and GrowMatch codes available under Software
• June 2011 - Robert Pantazes received the College of Engineering's Leighton Riess Fellowship, which recognizes outstanding graduate students working in the life sciences. Congratulations!
• March 2011 - Ali Zomorrodi received a 3rd-place award for poster presentation in 2011 Graduate Exhibition. Congratulations!
• February 2011 - Genome-scale models for maize and Arabidopsis available under Models.
• February 2011 - Genome-scale atom mapping model for E. coli available under Models.
• January 2011 - Rajib Saha successfully defended his Masters thesis and will be continuing as a PhD student. Congratulations!